Astrology is the belief that each person’s moment of birth is associated with a specific zodiac sign, which decides the personality, predicts the future, and determines a direction in life.
According to our astrologists, the ecliptic is the apparent annual trajectory of the Sun through the astrological constellations: Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius, and Pisces.
For reasons easy to understand, considering that the year is conventionally divided in 12 months, and nobody can be born in the 13th month of the year, the astrologists pretended not to see the 13th constellation that is present on the ecliptic – Ophiuchus (Serpent-bearer).
At first, the Babylonian and, later on, the Greek astrologist determined the zodiac signs based on the constellation where the Sun resided on the day of birth.
The first astrologists or specialists in paleoastronomy had noticed that the Sun travels across the zodiac sign in a year, spending approximately one month in each sign.
Thus, they calculated that each constellation on the night sky has a 30° angle on the ecliptic.
The ancient astrologists classified the 12 zodiac signs based on classic elements.
These 4 zodiac elements represent, in turn, certain personality traits, and are “read” in conjunction with the position of the Sun, Moon, and the planets that were known in Antiquity, to determine the horoscope.
- The Fire Element corresponds to Aries, Sagittarius, and Leo signs, and it is associated with a spontaneous and impulsive personality;
- The Water Element defines Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces signs, and corresponds to an emotive nature with overflowing imagination;
- The Air Element corresponds to Libra, Aquarius, and Gemini signs, which are quick in taking decisions, full of life, and tend to reflect more on their feelings;
- The Earth Element, associated with Cancer, Taurus, and Virgo signs, influences silent personalities, who have slower reaction times but are also more difficult to affect emotionally.
The 12 Zodiac Signs:
- Aries (March 20 – April 20 )
- Taurus ( April 21- May 21)
- Gemini (May 22- June 22 )
- Cancer ( June 23- July 22 )
- Leo ( July 23- August 22)
- Virgo (August 23 – September 22 )
- Libra ( September 23 – October 22 )
- Scorpio ( October 23 – November 22 )
- Sagittarius ( November 23 – December 22 )
- Capricorn (December 23 – January 21)
- Aquarius (January 22- February 20 )
- Pisces (February 21 – March 19)
The Astrological Houses
There are twelve astrological houses, having some analogies with the astrological signs, especially in terms of fundamental theme, and study, which is the only time they overlap.
They are sectors of the zodiac circle, in continuous movement, linked to the Earth’s rotation motion around its axis.
Their dimension and position within the signs and the content of Planets depend very much on the moment and place the person, or the desired event is for astrological study.
The apex of the houses is called CUSP. The most important cusps are the 4 axes of the zodiac circle.
- Ascendant (1st house, considered the Sunrise at the moment studied)
- The bottom of the sky (4th house, considered midnight)
- Descendant (7th house, considered the Sunset)
- The middle of the sky (10th house, considered the midday)
The houses and their significance:
- 1ST HOUSE – it refers to personality, character, and temperament;
- 2ND HOUSE – it is about material assets acquired through work, speculations, but also inheritances, about talents;
- 3RD HOUSE – communication, intellect, studies, and travels;
- 4TH HOUSE – family, same-gender parent, the end of life;
- 5TH HOUSE – creation, education, children, sentimental relationship, lovers;
- 6TH HOUSE – health, the relationships with colleagues and subalterns, workplace;
- 7TH HOUSE – the house of marriage and associations;
- 8TH HOUSE– death and rebirth, of transformation, occultism, sex;
- 9TH HOUSE – philosophy, religion, and justice;
- 10TH HOUSE – social hierarchies, functions, social aspirations, opposite-gender parent;
- 11TH HOUSE – friends, protectors, and popularity;
- 12TH HOUSE – trials, karma, deceptions, mental crises.
The ascendant (rising sign) is the zodiac sign that is ascending on the eastern horizon at the moment of birth.
The personal ascendant can be calculated based on the number of hours passed between sunset and the moment of birth.
This is the reason why the hour of birth is so important when calculating a personal horoscope.
Many people read their zodiac in the daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly horoscope, and notice some discrepancies between what they read and how they are, in fact, every day.
This is due to the difference of characteristics between the zodiac sign of their birth, and the zodiac sign of the ascendant they have for all their lives.
Ascendant Calculation. How is it done?
If you don’t know what your Ascendant sign is, to calculate it, you will need the day/month/year, the hour, and the place of birth.
The Ascendants change every two hours, so all the zodiac, with the 12 zodiac signs, is represented in 24 hours.
The Ascendant can sometimes have a great influence on a native: if at the moment of birth, in the sign where is the Ascendant, there are many planets, it is very likely for the natives to have more characteristics that are specific to the Ascendant that to the natal zodiac sign.
Ascendant in Aries
Strengths: direct, persuasive, fast
Weaknesses: inpatient, bossy
Regardless of the topic, you have the attitude that you can handle it. This can have an impact on your professional life if you find yourself taking the role of project leader, but it can also affect your role in your group of friends.
Ascendant in Taurus
Strengths: supporter, sensual, considerate
Weaknesses: uncertain, vain, and stubborn
A person with the Ascendant in Taurus will be strong and stable, with a silent personality. These individuals are rather stubborn since they are Taurus.
Ascendant in Gemini
Strengths: energetic, curious, spiritual
Weaknesses: duplicitous, overwhelming, distracted, with the head in the clouds
The Ascendant in Gemini defines a friendly and talkative person, with spiritual charm, and a young personality, not to mention the physical appearance.
Ascendant in Cancer
Strengths: delicate, approachable, caring
Weaknesses: shy, sensitive, reserved
If your Ascendant is in Cancer, you have a shy and sensitive nature. You might feel a bit dizzy when facing new situations and environments.
Ascendant in Leo
Strengths: generous, enthusiast, warn
Weaknesses: aggressive, self-centered, and impertinent
The people with Ascendant in Leo offer the world a friendly and self-confident personality, someone who talks with pride and ensures everything is all right.
Ascendant in Virgo
Strengths: organized, helpful, humble
Weaknesses: cold, tense, picky
The Ascendant in Virgo gives you a young appearance, so you will always look younger than your real age.
Ascendant in Libra
Strengths: charming, honest, sincere
Weaknesses: undecided, clingy, sly
As those with Ascendant in Gemini, the people with Ascendant in Libra are charming and creative. These people can be incredibly persuasive.
Ascendant in Scorpio
Strengths: unique, brave, with a great sense of perception
Weaknesses: controlled, secretive, intimidating
Charismatic and magnetic, those with Ascendant in Scorpio have an intensity that attracts people. Whether silent or loud, these people always tend to draw attention.
Ascendant in Sagittarius
Strengths: optimistic, full of life, enthusiastic and open
Weaknesses: impulsive, naïve, excessively zealous
Adventure is the best term to describe someone with the Ascendant in Sagittarius. These people are always looking for the next thing or new and exciting situations.
Ascendant in Capricorn
Strengths: ambitious, responsible, and competent
Weaknesses: reserved, self-contained, too dutiful
Maybe you had a difficult childhood, but you are a natural leader, and you learned how to overcome personal obstacles both from the past and present through determination and ambition.
Ascendant in Aquarius
Strengths: independent, inventive, observant
Weaknesses: impersonal, biased, condescending
Those with the Ascendant in Aquarius are unusual and unique, with eclectic interests and hobbies. They are strongly independent, and they will refuse to comply with other people’s ideas and plans.
Ascendant in Pisces
Strengths: adaptable, peaceful, and ingenuous
Weaknesses: disorganized, absent, insentient
The people with the Ascendant in Pisces can be described as gentle and caring. They are receptive to other people and sensitive towards their environment.